Absentee Voting by Mail
To vote by mail, a registered voter must fall under one of the following categories:
- The voter will be outside the county of registration during the early voting period and all day on election day;
- The voter or the voter’s spouse is enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university outside the county of registration;
- The voter’s licensed physician has filed a statement with the county election commission stating that, in the physician’s judgment, the voter is medically unable to vote in person. The statement must be filed not less than five (5) days before the election and signed under the penalty of perjury. The statement must be notarized;
- The voter resides in a licensed facility providing relatively permanent domiciliary care, other than a penal institution, outside the voter’s county of residence;
- The voter will be unable to vote in person due to service as a juror for a federal or state court;
- The voter is sixty (60) years of age or older;
- The voter has a physical disability and an inaccessible polling place;
- The voter is hospitalized, ill, or physically disabled and because of such condition, cannot vote in person;
- The voter is a caretaker of a person who is hospitalized, ill, or disabled;
- The voter is a candidate for office in the election;
- The voter serves as an election day official or as a member or employee of the election commission;
- The voter’s observance of a religious holiday prevents him or her from voting in person during the early voting period and on election day;
- The voter possesses a valid commercial driver license or is the spouse of a person possessing a CDL and certifies that he or she will be working outside the state or county of registration during the early voting period and all day on election day. The request should include a photocopy the CDL card;
- The voter has a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and will be out of the county during all hours of early voting and all day on election day. The request should include a photocopy of the TWIC card.
- The voter is a member of the military or is an overseas citizen.
The following must provide an out-of-county address:
- Student or spouse of a student attending school outside DeKalb County
- Outside of county during all voting hours for early voting and election day
- Full time resident of a nursing home or similar licensed institution located outside DeKalb County
- Overseas U.S. Citizen
- Member of the military or family member of the military.