Military and Overseas Voting

Who may apply to vote absentee under T.C.A. § 2-6-502?
To vote pursuant to the above statute, an individual must fall into one of the following categories:

  • MILITARY PERSONNEL: Persons who are United States citizens, residents of Tennessee and members of the Uniformed Services (i.e., armed forces personnel), and their family members.
    “Armed forces personnel” is defined in T.C.A. § 2-1-104(1) as members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Environmental Science Service Administration, Public Health Service of the United State’s or members of the Merchant Marine of the United States, and their spouses and dependents.
  • CIVILIANS OUTSIDE U.S.: Persons who are United States citizens, residents of Tennessee, and who are currently residing overseas
  • OVERSEAS CITIZEN: A United States citizen who resides outside the U.S. and, but for living outside the U.S., would be qualified to vote in Tennessee.
  • PERSONS BORN OVERSEAS: A person who has never lived in the U.S., but has a parent who is eligible to vote in Tennessee, may vote in Tennessee using the same voting residence claimed by the parent.

More information about the process and requirements can be found at